Q&A: Is there a way to become a geek at 28?
Question by Cowboy Bebop: Is there a way to become a geek at 28?
Back in 2002 I have graduated as multimedia arts producer, but then lost my interest in graphic design and have been working as an admin etc.
At some point in my life I got a job at very big and COOL (facebook = sh*t) web 2.0 company as a community manager. Later our team was made redundant and I find it unbelievably hard to work as an Admin at a standard company.
I always wanted to study Java because I like programming in simpler languages such as applescript etc.
Friend of mine (who is a programmer) told me that I am not going to be accepted in java programming team because I am not a geek – and they will think that I am there for money. Is it really THAT black and white?
It upsets me – I want to work with cool people once again.
Here is a list of my interests, please tell me which once are not appropriate:
1) Dropping hints (dual speach)
3) Design/photography/animation etc. (at the moment do not have cool portfolio = lame)
4) Japanese anime manga etc.
5) Bradbury books and other sci-fi
7) do not mind “class A”s time to time
At the moment dislike the following:
1) Simpsons, South Park and almost everything that is produced for masses.
4) rude people (f words, racists; I’m not a gay, but do not like if someone hates gays)
5) politics (especially – I’m natively Russian and hate “what do you think about Putin?”)
6) cheap clothes
Please tell me if there is anything that can be considered inappropriate among programmers and what is a MUST interest/hobby.
Using information you and possibly others can amend personality.
Is it necessary to follow common dress code?
Answer by Germann A
1) Ability and desire to learn…
2) Just about everything else is optional…
Having your own views is good, pressing them onto other is bad.
Now to your lists (I will give you MY own views ONLY)
1) Dropping hints (dual speech) – most of the time I would prefer you to tell me straight if you need/want/dislike something, I may be too busy to notice your hints…
2) Fashion – I am a boy (been one for 43 years) and do not care much about that, jeans and a t-shirt is my style…
3) Design/photography/animation etc. (at the moment do not have cool portfolio = lame) – you are likely to find a few (or more) like-minded individuals (I like photography)…
4) Japanese anime manga etc. – it is a matter of taste
5) Bradbury books and other sci-fi – it is a matter of taste (T.Pratchett for me)
6) diets – again, I am a boy 6ft, 90 kg for the last 10 years and do not mind…
7) do not mind “class A”s time to time – do not care enough…
1) Simpsons, South Park and almost everything that is produced for masses. – it is a matter of taste (I like Simpsons, but not South Park)
2) Beer – do not drink, drinking what everybody drinks is optional, I drink juice (or Pims occasionally) when we go out…
3) weed – is not it the same (used to be) class “A”?
4) rude people (f words, racists; I’m not a gay, but do not like if someone hates gays) – they have as much right to be as you and I…
5) politics (especially – I’m natively Russian and hate “what do you think about Putin?”) – do not care enough, I left Russia nearly 20 years ago and do not know enough to discuss it…
6) cheap clothes – for me the price is never a factor…
I am NOT a geek (at 43) in most common definition of the word… But, I worked in computing/programming for the last 20+ years…
Add your own answer in the comments!
Baby Photography Classes For those of you who want to become your very own baby photographer Have a newborn Can’t get out of the house for a photo class Onli…
I recommend these photography classes products